Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Understanding by design
SED 407
Prof. Napolitano

UbD response

“Understanding by Design” provides a curriculum planning framework for organizing big ideas for learning into manageable and assessable lesson plans.   The framework describes effective learning as a “Backwards” scenario.  Beginning with analyzing what is to be learned; the big picture, followed by the essential questions: the big picture objectives, then developing pre, during and post assessment techniques.  Only then can one create truly effective lesson plans.  The concepts of a Big Picture and Essential Questions align perfectly with the design and development of thought provoking effective units and lesson planning, and direct explicit teaching that I am currently exploring in SED 406 and FNED 346.  Once again I feel as if I am the student that I am learning these processes for.  I will be working on my first lesson plan soon.  Understanding by design makes so much sense.

Module A, part one of the concept “Understanding by Design”, gives a descriptive account of what is considered the Big Picture.  While reading, (before reaching "What Is Understanding?" on page 6) I had a bit of a knee jerk reaction to the word “understanding”.  Bloom’s Taxonomy discourages using “understanding” as an objective behavior because it is difficult to measure without additional context or explicitly defined conditions.  I continued to read "What Is Understanding?" and was pleased that my concern was addressed (to my satisfaction, as if that matters!).

In Module F, part 2 of “Understanding by Design”, the essence of an essential question is explained.   Similar to the objectives used by Bloom, the essential questions are objectives for students to achieve, but are a bit more open ended. They could be answered with a "yes" or "no" but encourage further inquiry by the phrasing of the questions.  They provide a jumping off point for true learning.  These Essential Questions aid the teacher in focusing a unit while prioritizing appropriate issues. 

Using both Modules, A and F, teachers and unit designers, should be able to develop “thought-provoking essential questions related to the unit topic and understanding goals” and “precisely state the desired understandings as full-sentence generalizations.”  ( p.70)

This approach, consistent with the principles I am working with in my other Education classes, provides additional consistent supporting tools for the development of good unit design.  It also supports the reflective approach to teaching.  With gratitude, I have added them to my toolbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment