Thursday, February 13, 2014

SED 407

Prof. Napolitano

Thoughts on "A Theory of Reading"

I have written and rewritten this first paragraph of an assessment of J. Wilhelm’s  “A Theory of Teaching” more times than I care to count.  I tried writing the middle first, then the end.  I thought maybe sleep would help.  Then, at some point, there came a very tiny “aha” moment and here it is.  Wilhelm introduces the theories of teaching reading, I read, he describes the best ways to teach, I read more, he compares techniques, I am still reading.  Then on Page 54, he shares the “Six Methods for Teaching Reading Strategies”.   And there it is.  

Perhaps this text exceeds my own “zone of Proximal Development”.  I was certainly frustrated with this material.  And it clearly reminded me of my high school and first college experience.  We were left to our own devices in text driven classes.  I was exhausted, feeling helpless, and believed I was stupid.  English is my first language, I am white, middle class, grew up in a liberal highly educated  family and community.  And yet I felt inadequate.  In retrospect, I reflect on that time in life and accept that I was not interested in the reading.  It did not relate to the world I wanted to be in.  I was not an at risk student but if a student is struggling is it not at least similar?  I am in this text.  It is Escher-esk.  And that is why I struggled with this assignment.

                                              M. C. Escher, 1948

Can you see it?

Getting back to Wilhelm, here is my original questions, “Self, what did you get out of this, what can you get out of this?”  

There are connections between Vygotsky’s theory and Hillock’s “environmental teaching” with elements in my other education classes.  Good.  I like that.  In SED 406, I am creating a lesson plan based on “Direct Teaching”.  It is a Learning Centered Teaching model.  If it is not Vitgoskty, it is very close.

For my “Direct Teaching” lesson plan, the goals must be clear.  Objectives must be visible and measurable.  The lesson has degrees of difficulty starting with simple tasks, teacher modeling, then leading the learner through group activities towards more difficult development of new abilities and finally independence. And there must be a way to assess success, and learned abilities.

Wilhelm’s summation of the “Six Methods for Teaching Reading Strategies” (53) includes all of the above.  I find myself, as I have so often this semester, feeling grateful.  Grateful for the continuity, guidance and methods that will help as I move towards certification.  And so these Six Methods are now part of my tool box.  And that’s what I “got”.

No comments:

Post a Comment