Wednesday, February 5, 2014

SED 406

Prof. Kraus
Central Falls High School

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”   Margaret Mead  

I have lived in Rhode Island for much of my adult life.  I raised a daughter here.  I had the privilege to chose to live in a community where I could have my dream: a home, a studio for my art, 2 dogs in the yard and good schools for my daughter. 

I know little of Central Falls.  I certainly did not know about the National attention it had been receiving, and not just regarding the school system.  The LA Times stated “Central Falls” was “widely held up as a national worst-case scenario” regarding “drastic benefit cuts” for public employees due to underfunded pensions. (2013)

But this is about Central Falls High School (CFHS).  The Annenberg Institute at Brown University cited CFHS as being one of the “lowest achieving schools”  in the country. (Jan. 2013).  By federal law, it was required to choose one of “four intervention models: turnaround, restart, school closure, or transformation.”  The transformation model was the chosen option with the goal to: “increase the graduation rate, increase mathematics proficiency rates and improve the culture and climate of the school”.  (Annenberg Institute, Jan 2010, Para. 1)  Implementation of the transformation was a struggle.  Negotiations between the school board, school superintendent, and the teachers’ union failed resulting in the firing of the principal, 3 assistant principals and 77 teachers.  Not surprisingly this made national news.

Fast forward to 2014.  Many of the teachers were rehired. Test scores are improving as is teacher morale.  (Harrison, Dec. 2013)   CFHS is also offering community programs to help the families and younger children of Central Falls.  As a RIC undergrad or graduate student, there are opportunities to tutor at CFHS in every subject.  The school is committed to moving forward.  And the more I read the more remarkable my impression of this school becomes.

But it has been a long time since I have been in a traditional high school classroom.  I do not know what to expect.  My High School experience was not great.  My family went on a sabbatical  during my 10th grade, so by the time 11th grade arrived, I did not “belong”.  I studied hard, and if I wasn't in class I was avoiding the roaming groups of kids looking for someone to bully and I never once went into the school cafeteria for the same reason.  Somehow I imagine walking the halls of CFHS will feel similar to what one sees in entertainment and film.  A little bit of everything.  But in the classroom I hope to see a learner centered environment.  My focus is Biology, and I would be thrilled to observe Ric alumnus David Upequi.  A year ago, this biology teacher was the recipient of one of 13 Amgen Awards.  He was chosen for his “outstanding ability to inspire (his) students and produce results in science education”. (RIC News, june 2013)  And it appears there is an Iguana in his room.  And I love Iguanas!

You can read more about Upequi on the RIC educational news page, 
https://www.ric.edu/news/details.php?News_ID=2257.





No comments:

Post a Comment