Friday, February 14, 2014

Observation #1 Central Falls High School

SED 406

Prof. Kraus

Observations at Central Falls High School #1

I have to admit, our first trip to CFHS, was a bit of a dream come true.  I had an agenda.  I was secretly hoping to observe a specific teacher.  I had come across his name on more than one occasion and was curious.  Needless to say when J and I were given our assignment and it was his class, I was quite pleased. 

Off we headed down empty halls, passing artwork, and closed doors of classes in session.

Our entrance into the room mid class caused no visible interruption.  There were approximately 20 teenagers, a fairly equal mix of black and Latino students.  The dress was casual, with most students wearing jeans.  

The room itself was lively and colorful.  There were three individual signs by the main entrance:
On the other side of the same door were two more large signs.  The first titled “Habits of good readers.”  The second sign read:
Scattered around the room were visual aids, anatomical diagrams with callouts, and student art.  There was an aquarium with an Iguana, next to it was a rabbit, and across the room was a screened container with germinating seeds.  All signs of a learner centered classroom.

Mr. U was energetically describing the reproductive system of the human body.  He was quick and engaging, and the students, were entertained but actively listening and responding to his rapid fire questions.  He addressed them as Mr. A or Ms. C.   He would call on a particular student, but they were raising their hands as well.  Mr. U shared anecdotes and personal stories to help his students relate to the material.  Following this spirited exchange, Mr. U directed the students to work in groups.  They were to identify the 6 different Human body systems that were projected at the front of the room.  I took the opportunity to sit with a lone student just to my left.  I introduced myself, and she did the same.  She proceeded to share a bit about her feelings for the class.  She liked this teacher, his style.  She had a quiet confidence, and ambition evidenced by her future goals of going to college, and becoming a nurse.  She showed me her answers.  They were visible, measurable and correct.
                            
Moments later, the class was dismissed the next one entered.  Two students arrived late.  Mr. U looked at the first and said “I know where you were” then turned to the other and said “you can tell me your excuse after school”  There was no protest from either one.  Mr. U proceeded to hit the class with a knowledge based question that was projected on the board at the front of the room.  He followed with a second question based on comprehension of the first.  This teacher didn’t miss a beat.  He was in complete control. His students knew the rules of his domain and none of them challenged it.  The 3 students I spoke with all agreed that it was both his personality and his teaching style that they liked.

J and I left this class room and dropped in on the one across the hall.  Also a science class, there were at most 5 kids in this class.  It seemed that these students were struggling a bit with the material and with school.  They were being quite vocal about their dislike of school and that they wouldn’t be there if they didn’t have to be.  It did feel as if this indignancy was at least in part for our benefit.

J and I had seated ourselves on either side of a young male black student.  In spite of the comments being expressed by his classmates, this student was quietly studying the answers to an evolution worksheet.  I believe they were about to take a test.  I asked him if he understood the material he was working on.  He said yes.  I asked if he liked school, and he replied no.  I asked why.  He answered with one word.  “Necap”.  He then asked what I was doing.  I told him about my degree in biology but that I had been an artist for a long time, and that I hoped to become a biology teacher.  We talked about animation and gaming.  His plan was to start at CCRI, and then transfer to RIC.  He wanted to become a police officer.  

There were solid connections between the topics and methods being addressed in my RIC education classes and what I observed at Central Falls High School on Wednesday.   Although we had missed the beginning of his class Mr. U shared with us that each of his students had received a guide at the beginning of the unit, and that earlier in the week the students did presentations.  On this day Mr. U was reviewing the material, had the students study the information again in groups, and then individually complete a quiz. Mr. U's class reflected a direct teaching method.  The interactions I had with individual students were encouraging.  They talked comfortably about their dreams.  For myself this was a rewarding experience, and I look forward to future visits to CFHS.


1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting, and encouraging to me. I am pumped for the future of education now! I love reading your blogs...you're exploration of what's available really produces some GEMS! So grateful for the ability to share your experiences and findings!

    ReplyDelete