Sunday, March 2, 2014

FNED 346
Dr. Bogad

3/2/14
• Damn Myths •

                                                              
(Sorry, my sense of humor is showing)

In the article “Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us” by Linda Christensen, I had many intense reactions at a number of different levels.  I grew up with Disney in the 60’s, I raised a daughter with Disney, and Bugs Bunny, because I loved them.  And it appears that this is just another area where stereotypes are subversively displayed, damaging the developing minds of our children.  I suppose in some way I was aware of this, but as an artist my appreciation for the product had my attention.  While in college, however, I distinctly remember, if I happened to pick up a fashion magazine, I would be depressed for days.  And I knew why.

But I’d like for a moment to back way up to the days of cavemen, when division of labor was probably physically and skill based.  Men were hunters, Women gave birth, watched the children, and “gathered”.  Communication may not have been very sophisticated, but these divisions were, to a degree, practical.  And I will not claim to be a sociologist, however, one might argue then, that this stereotyping may have roots as practical and skilled based.

Back to the topic at hand, and my other “Big thought”.  Is Art imitating Life or is Life imitating Art.  And does it matter?  I related to Justine, who disclosed in her journal that the dissection of the media portrayals of women was depressing.  Realizing that her self image had been formed by some  outside force of what defined happiness for women was painful.  It is for me too.  But I have to ask again is Art imitating Life or Life imitating Art.  Did the media start it, or did we start it.  Every December as the holidays approach, I have to accept that my daughter will be with her father and his new family.  This year we had a talk about changing that.  She’s not happy, and neither am I.  The idea of what a family is, and what happiness is for women, is an assumption that plays out all year round but is more pronounced at particular times of the year.  The world appears just as resistant to alternative choices for celebrating the various passages that life presents by it’s assumptive promotions of what holidays and other family celebrations look like.  (Incidentally I never had a Barbie, this was a foreign concept to my european parents.  And my daughter’s first interaction with a Barbie was to pull her head off, an action which I applauded with great maternal enthusiasm.)

But I digress. The issue becomes, what to do once you have uncovered the conveyors of the powerful myths that teach children “what will make them happy”?  (As if the answer to happiness is an external one, and yes I struggle with that one).  Once again we find ourselves where we have so often in our readings.  We must acknowledge the problem first before we can take action.  

This article hits closer to home than some of our previous readings.  (And this is not a value judgement on what defines an "issue" by any means).  I still love Disney and Bugs Bunny (and Spongebob), as does my daughter.  But taking on the media seems implausible if not impossible. Christensen’s resolve as a teacher is to offer her students, and future teachers (yes, that’s us) a great tool.  She challenges them to create opportunities to funnel their anger into possibilities of action.  In other words, she is turning her students into teachers.  Her class created a number of proposals in which they could create a message and take action,  And with conviction, individually and in groups, they created an awareness campaign of sorts.   

I have to admit, I feel a bit of a victim to these myths.  Growing up my favorite song was “Someday my prince will come”  Just the thought makes me sad.  So let me leave you with this.

This week Disney announced that it was going to discontinue it’s charitable contributions to “The Boyscouts of America”, but not because of what you might think.  BSA is placing a ban on gay leaders in it's ranks.  What Disney is doing is a step in the right direction.  And you have to start someplace.



More on the same issue from Time magazine:


Disney is a big part of our culture. The earlier films are classics, and I wonder do we have to "fix" them.  We certainly can talk about them.  And maybe the positive changes can happen as we move forward.  I do not necessarily have answers, but I do love Disney.  And for what it's worth, for animation and gaming, it is one of several amazing training grounds for future young artists.

2 comments:

  1. I thought your picture was hilarious, too. I love reading your blogs, they're so insightful and I agree with your points. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you are saying although I do believe that with the new group of teachers comes new ideas. Disney is now looking at women as stronger people who can be the hero. Forward thinking teachers will help these girls to be the next execs. at Disney. I also believe that your prince maybe a short thin guy form Minneapolis.

    ReplyDelete